Cost Saving Ideas for Government

This forum has been closed.

You may no longer submit new ideas or vote on ideas which have already been submitted through this forum.

Please visit one of our open forums to share your new cost saving ideas.

How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Stop paying for the births of #2 #3 #4 etc.

After one child is born the freedom to have many more is evident as young people feel entitled to this coverage. Marriage is declined because the state will pay. Case workers are encouraging abuse. First baby, shame on them, Second, third, fourth baby, shame on us

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Maine should adopt a drug testing policy for state aid recipients.

Is Maine planning on adopting a drug testing policy for state aid recipients? Florida, Kentucky, and Missouri, are the first states that will require drug testing when applying for welfare. If it's okay to drug test people who work for their money, why not everyone else? If they can afford to spend their money on drugs, they shouldn't be collecting welfare and getting free insurance benifits while destroying their bodies. That money should be for taking care of basic human needs. I would welcome this testing with open arms.

118 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Stop paying for benefits for anyone that breaks the laws of society.Stop meth clinics,stop cable tv,movies,gym equipment in prisons.

If someone breaks the rules of society they give up their rights.Don't let someone break the rules of any assistence program and be eligable for another.Don't give SSI to drug and alcohol abusers just because they can't get a job.Take the benefits from the lazy,the abusers,and the law breakers before you start taking from the elderly and the working class that may need temporary assistence.

70 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Stop paying for Methadone!

Maine Care will pay for Methadone when most insurance carriers won't. Someone can go to the Discovery Center in Bangor. They can request an increase and receive it that day. They have no programs for decreasing or getting off methadone. They compare it to having Diabetes! On top of paying for methadone, they all get reimbursed for travel from PenCap! It is a legal drug dealer and we the tax payers are footing the bill!

150 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • How about having prisoners cut up the fallen trees in the woods for those in need of heating assistance.

I know that there are many people that need heating assistance. I also know that there are many dead trees along side the road that could be harvested and given to those in need. How about having prisoners cut these trees and give them to those needing assistance! It would help both those needing assistance and the prisoners that really need to do some work.

37 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This would require crew bosses and transport vehicles. DOC would be willing to consider a partnership with a non-profit for this type of venture as a community restitution project.

• Dear Gov LePage, What about the idea of co-pay with Maine Care?

The days of going into a doctors office and having your visit covered 100% is over for most of us who have private healthcare. Why not add copays to Maine Care health and dental? With much thought, if you chose, you could adjust the copays with the type of service - just as most private health care does. For ex. $20 copay for office visits, $75 copay for ER visits, etc.

38 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Anyone on PUBLIC ASSISTANCE found guilty of committing a violent crime must be taken off PUBLIC ASSISTANCE immediately upon conviction.

Anyone found guilty of committing a violent crime while on PUBLIC ASSISTANCE must be taken off PUBLIC ASSISTANCE.

28 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • HAVE A $1.00 SCRATCH TICKET DESIGNATED FOR A SPECIFIC CAUSE

HAVE A $1.00 SCRATCH TICKET DESIGNATED FOR A SPECIFIC CAUSE
                  The revenue from scratch tickets goes into the general fund. Instead we could designate several $1.00 scratch tickets to go to a specific cause, such as, LIHEAP or D.O.T. for repairing pot holes, etc., as supplemental funding. Three months later or longer change the tickets for another worthy cause. I think people might like to know that the money they spent on a scratch ticket would go to a project they support. It could be done on a trial basis to see how it would work. It should not cost…

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make qualifing welfare recepients work for the state for their checks

If you want welfare, clean a park, sweep the streets, do something. I work for my money and so should they.

182 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Stop paying 11.54% of many state employees retirement.

Why are we paying 11.54% of many state employees gross pay into their retirement account. No wonder the state budget is in trouble. All state employees should be treated equally and the state should contribute accordingly. We should not have various classes where some are singled out for special treatment. I think for taxpayers to pay $115.40 into the retirement system for every $1,000 an employee makes is one of the reasons this state is in trouble. You want see this type of contribution in private business.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Stop double-dipping on pensions.

Some government employees retire and start collecting pensions. They then return to work and get paid in addition to receiving their pension. In private industry, the pension is abated while the person is re-employed and the the pension is re-started once they retire again.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Re-Open ALL the rest areas closed by the Baldachii administration on this states Highways

The rest areas on the highways need to be re-opened, this state is boosting it is open for buisness, just dont get tired or need to relieve yourself driving throught the state, because most of the rest areas are CLOSED and gated off. Truckers need places to rest, tourists need places to rest this state seems not to friendly to travelers needs

24 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • make texting while driving the same a oui

A relative died because of texting and driving and beleive me it was her fault she got caught in maine and kept doing it in georgia. that fact is it has replaced drunk driving as the #1 cause of death on the roads if people are caught texting they should loose there right to a lisence and go through courses and pay a ton of fines because they are worse then a drunk driver on our roads

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Folks, I proposed cost saving in DHHS OACPDS - Developmental Services that would reduce the cost of Home Support services by $40,000,000.00.

Transition 25% of the 2,800 individuals who have mental retardation and/or autism living in Group Home living arrangements (cost: average $120,000 year) to Shared Living Homes (cost: $47,000 year). In most situations, individuals are likely to enjoy the opportunity to live with one adult or a couple or a family that would provide the support that the individual requires. If we transition 550 individuals (25%) to Shared Living Homes, we will realize a savings of $40,077,000. This initiative, similar to theLegislative initiative in 2007 to transition 200 individuals from Group Home (Comprehensive Waiver Section 21) to Shared Living Homes over…

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • any baby born addicted to drugs whos parent(s) are on maincare,foodstamps, tanf or all 3 should not be able to collect any of these programs

take drug addicts off the welfare system when you give birth to a drug addicted baby while collecting welfare that should be enough evidents that people are using walfare to buy drugs and having babies to keep a steady income for their drug use and also to save some money why dont you get rid of the program (child protected services)as they dont want to be bothered with phone calls drug test parents and dont tell them when your going to do it surprise them send some one to their home. and get rid of useless programs.

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Stop full welfare benefits for single parents after a limited amount of time

I think the welfare system needs a complete overhaul. Woman who have multiple children with different men and get extra cash and food benefits. The deadbeat fathers need to be held reliable NOT the taxpayers. If the state IS paying benefits it should be for a limited amount of time until the parent can find a job, in which case benefits could be lessened, or go to school and earn a degree. People should be forced to work or volunteer at least 10 hours weekly to recieve food stamps/ Mainecare/ TANF. There should be inspections and more investigations against those…

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Reduce the state speed limit to 55 MPH

I would like to see the state speed limit reduced to 55 MPH to save every Mainer money at the pump. With the ever increasing price of gas, we need Gov. LePage to take a stand for all of us. In the 70's the national speed limit was 55 to save gas in the enegry crisis. I consider us not only in an energy crisis, but an entire economic crisis. I only drive 50 highway miles a day, however, traveling 55 vs. 65 saves me about $7.00 a week at current gas prices. I do take my life in my…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • STOP GIVING WELFARE RECIPIENTS A TAX RETUN. THE STATE SHOULD TAKE THEIR RETURN AND PUT IT BACK INTO THE BUDGET,

I dont believe that welfare recipients should receive a tax refund. The state should keep every cent that the government gives them back to help offset the cost of their "care". Imagine what the state could do with that money, probably something better than what the recipient would do with it !!! I mean what recipient is going to take $4,000 and buy food with it, or actually pay for thier own medical insurance, or pay for some of their own heating fuel....No, .......keep it from them and use towards what the state has given to them all year, lift…

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Stop home visits for new borns

If someone has a baby in the hospital, they are approached by nurses to have home visit. If you say no thank you, you'll be told that it was free at no cost. If you say no thank you,.a social worker will come in to encourage you to sign up for a home visit. I did not realize that Maine paid nurses to come to peoples homes at no cost to anyone??? They will not leave your alone about it. With so many programs being cut, I feel this is one that is not necessary. Please say no to home…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28

Cost Saving Ideas for Government

Feedback and Knowledge Base