How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

money spent on transportation for people in methadone clinics

each day the state of maine is spending thousands of dollars to cart people around that are in methadone clinics. weather is be by reimbursement or rides through cabs or drivers getting pd to bring them back and forth.
there is a solution... did you know that after 90 days each person can put in for a take home, then after that they can keep putting in for another day and after one year they are eligible to only have to come into the clinic one day a week. I think that you need to develop a law going around the clinics policies. if they are there they should be staying clean and should be able to get takehomes and need not to be getting pd to come to the clinic everyday when in fact they are eligible to get takehomes.
each person who is not staying clean and not eleigible for takehomes will have to find other means of transportation or pay out of p[ocket, cause if they are doing what they are there for they should be eleigible to recieve takehomes and not be getting money to go to the clinic everyday, if they are not staying clean they they should have some consequesnces for that and not be able to get pd to come to the clinic everyday and wasting tax payers dollars when in fact they are also wasting space int eh clinic as well cause they are not there getting clean and some are making more money in just reimbursement then some people make a week working. this needs to be addressed and needs to be changed people are now just getting the rides free cause it is there for them to use, and is so wide spread, it needs to be changed there would be hundreds of thousands of dollars saved in just this one change in the law. please consider this. . .in just one clinic in bangor there may be 200 patients, each one should in all rights be eleigible for takehomes after 90 days and starts with 1 days a week takehome and then every 2 months after that another day is added i beleive after one years time if each person is costing the state 20 a day thats 4000 a day just in one clinic times that by 365 thats 146,000. if you count the amount of clinics in the state and do the math you are saving nearly a million a year in just transportation for people who clearly should not be needing that transportation but onyl one day a week. there needs to be stiffer laws around rehab and maintenanced programs and if the pt is not doing what they are supposed to be doing in the program then there are consequenses and not be abel to make money to sit at home..

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    melissa tablemanmelissa tableman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • frankfrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kids are told not to be concerned about getting hooked because of the clinics.

• frankfrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all methadone clinics should be as originally set up for. Detox. Get off gov. support for life. SSI Food stamps. section 8 housing etc.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides getting paid to drive/ride, they go together in the same vehicle and each one gets paid for the "trip". Someone needs to do some investigating into this.

Transportation to Meth clinics is beyond rediculous. Meth patients tell me that they are not even encouraged to cut back. They have told me that they can stay on Meth their entire life and may increase at will. Their is NO expectation to quit. It is a way of life and we flip the bill. And people with no physical limitations tell me they cant work because they have to go to the meth clinic daily. Unbelievable!

Ok we are paying the way for drug addicts and there are many who are still using and some get caught. What about other addictions? Alcoholism for one. If a drug user can afford the drugs to become addicted then they can afford to become drug free. Im sick and tired of hearing about methadone clinics and other services that are available to them! Here is an idea, get a job, and no more services after a certain amount of time, 90 days sounds good. If you are working you wouldnt have so much free time to sit around and do drugs. I understand its hard to kick an addiction but make it **** hard to get drugs and make them accountable when they do ask for help.

why should i pay for some one else s addiction ? IF we MUST treat them, 6 months should be long enough. stop wasting my tax dollars.

• carol engelscarol engels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe it is time the state steps in on these "trip sheets". People that go to the clinics get it paid for by Mainecare, then they get rides to go, everyday! Part of being in drug rehab is to stay away from drugs. But if you have to go everyday you are still using. And the tax payer are footing the bill. The programs that pay this money out have no rules or regulations about this. The state needs to be allowed to tell these clinics, if they want to remain in the state of Maine there is things they will have to follow. Like if the state is paying the bill for people in drug rehab, I feel they have a right to know if they are staying clean. Month after month people still use and still get everything paid for. This isn't fair to us. People are getting turned away from programs because the state has to make cut backs in all types of programs. I feel it is time to stop fraud and let the state of Maine have a heavy foot when it comes to this area.

Feedback and Knowledge Base