How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

Make qualifing welfare recepients work for the state for their checks

If you want welfare, clean a park, sweep the streets, do something. I work for my money and so should they.

182 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  · 

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Welfare a local problem a local solution. Each community in the USA is different than all of the others. Give us the money paid in taxes to federal and state income taxes and let us solve the welfare programs by counties.
        Here are some suggestions. Instead of saying it won't work, please, say what needs to be done to make it work.
        1. Welfare programs should be administered by a non-profit entity. This should reduce possibility of promoting welfare to protect government welfare positions.
        2. Committees with compassion and of a size and nature that everyone has the opportunity to openly discuss the problems and methods of developing solutions, should be organized to present an acceptable program to the county commissioners.
        3. One of the educational missions of all educational institutions should stress the development of self confidence and self respect.
        4. Any recipient of welfare should be required to participate in an educational program as long as they are receiving welfare. One purpose of the program would to be to develop an attitude of self respect and confidence to become an acceptable citizen. A second purpose would be to develop the ability to function in some form to serve others on welfare. Childcare, wash and mend clothing, repair automobiles, maintenance and energy conservation of homes,transportation supplier, produce food (meat, poultry,eggs, vegetables), food preparation and preservation, cut and style hair, etc.
        5. Once the program was completed families the filled the local requirements would be given an energy efficient home. hopefully with room for a family garden .
        6. The citizens of the communities and counties would be relieved of federal and state taxes dedicated to welfare programs.

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Us State employees are Union Employees, I am one of them. We do not want to lose our jobs to accommodate people who are on entitlements. It's bad enough that we have been working for the Public in this State without raises for almost 5 years now.

• jenjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thi rule in a few different forms is already in place but the cost to enforce and monitor is currently near impossible.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree we never have enough people in the parks and recreation dept. also lets create low cost day care centers so they can work. Plus help other parents

• Geoff FosterGeoff Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excuses can be made for anything. Except for a rare few, anyone accepting welfare CAN do something. Let me break it down for those that don't get it! They can babysit others children with proper state approval (while the others work) - They can do community service while their children are in school (understanding their children are old enough to go to school etc) They can assist in their own programs, along with other programs - such as soup kitchens, food pantries, parenting classes, etc. They can assist with town projects, high school projects, graduation projects. The state run schools will accept help. If all government "volunteer" openings are full, then I'm quite sure the private business will accept some help. Office cleaning, filing, even on-site work, such as house cleaning businesses, etc. etc.

• BGrantBGrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only issue with this line of thinking is that they are just welfare because they do not want to work. Often times, however, this is not the case. Perhaps some CANNOT work. Or some, like others, work, but barely make enough money to cover basic expenses. In hard times like these, we need to pull in together and take care of those who can't take care of themselves. We cannot assume that just because someone gets benefits they are lazy.

I wonder if you expect these welfare people to bring their kids with them while they sweep the street. It's pretty hard to do both (watch the kids)and sweep the street at the same time. I think the fathers shouldn't get out of supporting their kids.

• MR. CMR. C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They don't make them as the people have different reasons not to Volunteer as they get help from the program DHHS Has. We need to redo the Government from the bottom up and I feel Lepage is the guy to make it happen.I seen one guy before and he said hm I wonder how much I get so I can buy more beer from Tanf,Welfare.

• Just My OpinionJust My Opinion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VolunteerMaine.org has a lot of volunteer opportunities that can build excellent job skills and experience.

People on welfare should do SOMETHING! It becomes a way of life if they collect a check and are not expected to do anything for it. They get lazy and soon think the DESERVE it. Like its their right. Drive a taxi, push carts out from Shaws for elderly people or if you have children, take in someone elces kids to care for. Do something.

Feedback and Knowledge Base