How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

Stop paying for Methadone!

Maine Care will pay for Methadone when most insurance carriers won't. Someone can go to the Discovery Center in Bangor. They can request an increase and receive it that day. They have no programs for decreasing or getting off methadone. They compare it to having Diabetes! On top of paying for methadone, they all get reimbursed for travel from PenCap! It is a legal drug dealer and we the tax payers are footing the bill!

150 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    middle class taxpayermiddle class taxpayer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EmployedwelfaremomEmployedwelfaremom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very familiar with this topic on a personal level. I believe the methadone clinics should be shut down, but never will. The dysfunction lies within the health and welfare system, not so much with the recipients of methadone. I am very strongly opposed to the use or distribution of any synthetic opiate. Call it what you want its a drug, and it's very bad for you. Unfortunately these clinics make a lot of money for the pharmaceutical companies and many others... this is a losing battle.

• Peter AlexanderPeter Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Methadone was originally given to only twenty plus year herion addicts; however, soon after establishing clinics girls age twenty who are pregnant get this "treatment' and later haved methadone addicted babies who are seriously harmed and then society has costly medical expense to treat the disabilities casue by emthedone.

If we insist that citizens be personally responsible than we discourage drug use and expect that if one engages in this behavior they withdrawl on their own and get on with their lives. We want to help people up and not create dependence as wen doall the time. If Churches were the source of support and assistance to those in need we would have much less dependence. We have decided to remove God from schools, work places and the marketplace where we have up until the 1960's received reminders that our choices are critical. Right from wrong and good over evil are the essential focus of life. Protecting life, liberty, especially religious liberty, and property rights are essential American values that have and can again make us free and personally rrsponsible citizens.

• DanielleDanielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am one person who has benefited greatly in this program. It helped my husband and I change our lives for the better. We started at our doctors office for 100% documented real pain. He had back surgery and hip surgery and still needs at least one more back surgery as well as two knee replacement surgeries and maybe more. I have lumbar disc disease along with scoliosis and diabetic neuropathy amongst other issues. Our doctors did not wean us they decided one day that they could not prescribe our pain meds anymore and sent us to a pain clinic. The pain clinic took over till they thought the meds were stable and refered US back to our primary care doctor who was supposed to take over but he told us he was sending us to a methadone clinic. So before you judge US people who get medication that helps us to get out of bed and run a half normal life put yourself in our shoes just for one day, I DARE YOU! NOT EVERYONE AT A CLINIC IS A HEROIN ADDICT. ****, I've never even tried heroin in my life. I agree that if someone is not trying to get clean and has more than three dirty tests in a row they should be out but I don't make the clinic rules. My swabs/***** drug screens have all been 100% clean since day 1. So don't go putting me and my family down you seem to be a hypocrite. Another thing someone on methadone CANT just stop cold turkey they could die from the problems withdrawal causes its not just like a flu it's more like a slow painful death. You need to educate yourself about the brain and how this all works cause you could very well be one injury or one surgery away from being the next addict whether you like it or
        Not. Its a sad reality. Bottom line is this medicine in my situation is a miracle drug that allows me to better wife, mother, and person. It has basically saved my life. Don't get me wrong I mean no disrespect to anyone and I agree not everyone is there for the right reasons but we are.

• taxpayer in treatmenttaxpayer in treatment commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that mileage reimbursement is not an appropriate way to spend taxpayer's money, if people choose to be in treatment and cannot drive themselves, there are services available to them such as public transportation and carpooling.But methadone maintenance does help people and although there are those who abuse the medication and contribute to the bad reputation that methadone has, some of us are doing the best we can to get and stay clean. Many people who have turned to methadone treatment are productive, hard working members of society. It is important that anyone who chooses to have an opinion on this matter make sure they're educated on the subject.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Methadone patients are told that they will have to be on methadone for the rest of their lives. Patients have to insist on getting off of it. Methadone clinics are for profit businesses. The only way they make money is to keep their patients hooked.

i suppose some of you would rather have needles and heroin addicts in your backyards where your children play. methadone helps a lot of people lead healthy, productive lives. "judge les ye be judged."

• Carolyn SawyerCarolyn Sawyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not true-There is so little assistance with drug problems its pathetic-Try and you will see

• A. SmithA. Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For every dollar spent on treatment you save between $8 and $37 on community services. Do the math....

• Lorraine RossLorraine Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Methadone has proven to be a less addictive and cost effective treatment for chronic pain, like peripheral neuropathy rather than oxycodone and such. It is not just for "druggies". Nothing is black and white....need to consider a case by case situation.

• Robert Robbins Jr.Robert Robbins Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many use meth as a suppliment and as a gesture to show they are trying to help themselves,just so they can receive some other type of assistence.Also they car pool to the clinics and all turn in seperate vouchers and taxpayers pay for it!

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The other factor is many of these methadone clinics are FOR PROFIT. Methadone can be a drug used in a harm reduction model, but the fact is most of the companies distrubuting it are making a lot of money.

people coming off opiates report that they feel like they have the flu. That is not dangerous. The government says keeping them hooked on Methadone is better than having them on illicit drugs. How absurd. They are encouraging people to build to build meth clinics. Someone is making money here. Its not a legitimate service.

• TaxpayerTaxpayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stopping or limiting methadone treatment is not a good idea for the public health, for the patients or for the community. Relapse rates are very high for opiate addiction and many may need to be taking methadone for their lives or for a long time. However rethinking the way the state does things would be beneficial. How about having community pharmacies provide doses for patients in the area. This could be looked at by zipcode. Patients would travel to the cllinic for counseling but otherwise to their local pharmacy or even community hospital for their daily dose.

The cost of methadone treatment is inexpensive in comparison to the alternatives (i.e. other chronic conditions, jail, even the mischief that an active addict would cause the community in court costs, child welfare, etc).

We the tAx layers are also pAying for taxi vouchers for each family member to the clinic each day for some. Also why are some of these people from up north getting $100.00 per day travel expense to come to the clinic.?

There also should be investigating into the fact that many of the "clients" also travel in the same vehicle and each one gets reimbursed for travel expenses. This is definitely occurring in Washington County, which is costing Maine Care additional expense in the long run.

Why wouldn't a herion addict switch to Methadone when the State will pay for the drug? I have spoken to doctors and nurses who do not understand why the State does not have a strict procedure for decreasing the dose a person recieves. Work next to a methadone clinic for awhile and you will be frightened by the actions of the people who are receiving the drug.

Feedback and Knowledge Base