How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

Stop paying for the births of #2 #3 #4 etc.

After one child is born the freedom to have many more is evident as young people feel entitled to this coverage. Marriage is declined because the state will pay. Case workers are encouraging abuse. First baby, shame on them, Second, third, fourth baby, shame on us

107 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Carolyn Carolyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jayjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no it should be after the first child if they are on the wel fair system they should not be entitled to have any more children that the state has to pay for!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What message does it send paying woman to not marry and have lots of babies and you can eat lobster and buy expensive SUV's to drive them around. The father should be made responsible along with the mom . Encourage FAMILY values . Why is it so wrong to give just off brand essentials to help families and I would suggest centrally located food and shelters for those in need. HELP OUT NOT HAND OUT!!!

• Stephen ChurchStephen Church commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea might be fine to discourage the adults involved in this racket, but we can't place blame on the children that are born into this situation !

• Robin MillikenRobin Milliken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree for the state to pay for women to have all their children,is crazy. I have known of many that have done it over the years have 2-3-4 kids and no bills to pay not a co pay or anything and then get WIC, food stamps and free medical to raise them all. I think the state should allow it once. I also don't feel the state should pay for aborttion. I know times they have because I have heard a woman say the state paid for it. It isn't up to the State of Maine to provide a living for people.

• Brandon HobbsBrandon Hobbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The state of Maine taxpayers should not have to carry the extra welfare burden, due to poor family planning. Irresponsible family planning is punishing the working class. With the current Maine economy, every penny saved, motivates the working class to press forward.

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not about limiting the size of a family, nor is it about punishing anyone. Whether or not someone can afford another child should be a responsible decision based on current income. A responsible working adult does not get a raise when a child is born. At the birth of a new little one, the burden of responsibility falls on the adult, not the public. There is no difference in that responsibility, working or welfare.

• PeggyPeggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After one child born on welfare, then mandatory birth control methods should be enforced. Nothing permanent, but I believe there is a patch that the doctor can put into the arm that provides birth control and lasts for several years and can be safely removed if the welfare recipient gets married or leaves the welfare system. No child should suffer from having to be on welfare; however, babies born of welfare parents usually do not have a wonderful life.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think he is saying that the government should stop giving out extra welfare money for each child. Every welfare abuser knows that you get more money by having more children.

• ShoeShoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sorry but that is not punishing the parent it is punishing the child.

• StephSteph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm confused. Are you saying we should enact a one child rule in the US? Or that people should be required to get married before having children? I really don't understand what you are trying to say.....

Feedback and Knowledge Base