How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

Reduce the state speed limit to 55 MPH

I would like to see the state speed limit reduced to 55 MPH to save every Mainer money at the pump. With the ever increasing price of gas, we need Gov. LePage to take a stand for all of us. In the 70's the national speed limit was 55 to save gas in the enegry crisis. I consider us not only in an energy crisis, but an entire economic crisis. I only drive 50 highway miles a day, however, traveling 55 vs. 65 saves me about $7.00 a week at current gas prices. I do take my life in my hands by driving on Rt. 295 at 55. I have been almost rear-ended many times, as cars traveling 65-75 creep up on me fast. I am concerned that I will be hit. If the state speed limit is 55, we would ALL save money at the pump, maybe have less accidents and be a leader in innovation for the country.
Thank you for considering this. My gut says this is a no brainer!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frank SuszczynskiFrank Suszczynski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MR. CMR. C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you know your not saving that much at the pump when I stop at a stop light I see more gas burned. So going slow you really don't save you much. Also the speed limit has been 55 mph for years and no one did 55 mph on the highway. You need to stop driving the Highway or speed up so you don't cause a accident or be in a accident to try to make a point to others. Did you know that the slower you go the more accidents their is. Take a different route if you feel uncomfortable on riding the highway.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took us years to get rid of the 55 speed limit. Sorry, but I don't think Mainers would stand for it. Driving that much under the speed limit is dangerous and it riles up other drivers on the road. If you refuse to drive highway speed, you should get off the highway and take slower back roads.

Feedback and Knowledge Base