How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

Stop paying 11.54% of many state employees retirement.

Why are we paying 11.54% of many state employees gross pay into their retirement account. No wonder the state budget is in trouble. All state employees should be treated equally and the state should contribute accordingly. We should not have various classes where some are singled out for special treatment. I think for taxpayers to pay $115.40 into the retirement system for every $1,000 an employee makes is one of the reasons this state is in trouble. You want see this type of contribution in private business.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David H CrockettDavid H Crockett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David H CrockettDavid H Crockett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No action taken for over a year since this suggestion was submitted. This must affect legislators, constitution officers, legislative assistants, the Governor or his appointees. I know of no business or paying $11.54 per $100 the employee makes into their retirement account.salaried. The governor claims he wants to save money this is costing tax payers over 3 million a year. Seems like they look the other way when it effect their friend or relative. All other state employees get less than $4 dollars put into their account.

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That amount is less than in the private sector. Also, State employees make much less money comparatively to the private sector so if you start chipping away at their incomes we will have a bunch of minimum wage workers running our State Gov't. State Employees already have had a freeze on raises for almost 5 years, Would you work for the same amount of money for 5 years when just the price of gas alone to get to work has doubled?

Feedback and Knowledge Base