Economic Development and Workforce Training Cost Saving Ideas

Welcome to the “Cost Savings Ideas” website of Governor Paul LePage. Here, you are invited to share your ideas for promoting cost savings in the Department of Economic and Community Development, Department of Labor, Finance Authority of Maine (FAME), Lobster Promotion Council, Maine Blueberry Commission (wild), Maine Potato Board, Maine State Housing Authority, and other related agencies.

You can review others’ ideas and see which are currently most popular. You may also comment on them as well as vote for your favorites.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum. For security reasons, please do not include any personal information. All submissions are to be civil and appropriate for a public forum; any submission containing profanity or personal attacks will not be posted. Thank you

Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of economic development and workforce training here.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. We need to begin with a high need for quality child care.

We can not force people to work who have no means of childcare. We also need to provide some sort of means of transportation. We are in maine nothing is close by. We need to create jobs, and allow for some sort of training. We don't even allow for highschool students to work harvest anymore. Jobs also need to start allowing for newly educated people to get the experience and learn. As well as jobs needing to hire people even if they are over qualified, I have seen many people turned down for jobs at places such as walmart for…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • workfare not welfare

There are very few people that need to be on welfare. I think everybody on welfare should get a notice their welfare is ending in 30 days. No excuses they have to get a job. If they can't find one then the state will supply one. They could raise a big garden for the state on state land or anything. People that have worked hard all their lives when they get ready to retire they have to live on peanuts because the State of Maine has given all their money away. Most people on disability can also work. I think…

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Increase Funding For Public Schools even if something else needs to be cut back on.

Public Education is where most students can turn for free quality education. If we don't support these schools they won't be able to deliver that sort of quality. Schools are what train students to solve the problems we'll have now and later. We must put our efforts into schools above all else, especially public schools where the majority of students learn. If we can't do that, all hope is lost.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Open a "State of Maine" processing facility.

Prospect Harbor Maine has a facility that is set up to process lobster. Revamp it to include local mussels, Maine Shrimp, Oysters, clams. etc. Who knows the regulations better than the state. Put the local Maine people back to work and keep the money in our state. This will help by putting people on payroll instead of unemployement. Let us Mainers package our own product and be proud to say our seafood was processed in Maine by Maine people.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • stop Cronyism at UM

Why was the president of the USM given a no confidence vote due to her salary increases to specific individuals, then steps down and gets a newly created post for the same 203K she was receiving. I appreciate what you are trying to do in gov't in general but you should be addressing this specific issue to show you mean business.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • My first proposal would be to increase engine capacity of Mopeds to at least 100cc.

At present they are more of a road hazard than a convenient and inexpensive means of transportation. A number of people I have spoken to would own one if it weren't for the schooling required and moped rentals would probably be a larger industry than now. All things considered the safety would increase with the ability to keep up with rural traffic and not cause back ups when climbing hills. With the price of gasoline I think you'd find an increase in sales, which would lead to an increase in service and fair amount of increased revenue to the state.

19 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Create new government/private sector partnerships

Reduce state, county and municipal workers to a maximum 32-hour work-week, do not disturb benefits such as medical care and leave, but reqire that the employee become a part-time employee at a private-sector partner business for at least an additional 8-hours weekly. This would allow the government to lower its wage/salary costs substantially while increasing the part-time employee's exposure to new and diversified opportunities in the private sector. The government needs to step back and give a "hand-up" to private business and its employees encouraging much more private sector business taking on many of the "necessary" tasks of government at…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Lower ME Income Taxes

Eliminate the ME taxes on social security benefits and individual pension plans and IRAs. Then lots of retirees, including me, will move to ME and spend lots of money for many consecutive years. Right now, PA has ME taxes beat - PA is retiree-friendly. That's where I'll go unless ME changes it's tax structure SOON.

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Daycare

I work in the Cross Building and I think it would be great for the State Employees who have children, to be able to have a daycare facility here in the building. There are many spaces available (2nd floor rooms that are used for only half of the year). This would give people job opportunities, as there would need to be staff to care for the children. On top of the peace of mind us employees would have, having their children in the same building and being cared for by employees who are trained and licensed, it would increase productivity…

5 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Economic Development and Workforce Training Cost Saving Idea:

I'd like to propose the following vision for 'Youth Inclusion' on Maine's Comprehensive Plan regarding future ongoing/systematic economic development opportunities (which, as will see, could also simultaneously include higher educational opportunities & jobs training for our youth, via using that (recently announced) $13.2 million in SSBCI funds.
                      I recall seeing an article (fall of 2011) that spoke of how Governor LePage had brought together State Agency Heads, along with outside Sr. Leadership entities to focus on ways to improve the business climate in Maine. Since then, I've seen some great ideas brought forth on how to not only improve the…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • energy focus

The gov should explore partnering with a large battery factory like Hond to Manufacture. A new industry such as home building with fire sprinklers. Tis would be a good idea to develop. Emphasis should ne on water ocean turbines and wind power. The large greenhouses like backyard tomatoes of Madison should be encouraged. Small busines people pay higher taxes also. All people out of work shoild be channelled into the road projects. Jobcenters should be more available.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Hire Maine People?!

The governor has stated he wants to put Maine people back to work! Then why do state departments hire out of state residents who are not as qualified as Maine state employees? There are Maine state employees that have worked hard to get their education right here in Maine and worked for the state while doing so and they are not hired for positions that they are more than qualified to have. This would also open up more positions for other Maine residents! Put Maine people to work, have priority to Maine employees over unqualified, out of staters!

30 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Don't see your idea?

Economic Development and Workforce Training Cost Saving Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base