Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of economic development and workforce training here.

Economic Development and Workforce Training Cost Saving Idea:

I'd like to propose the following vision for 'Youth Inclusion' on Maine's Comprehensive Plan regarding future ongoing/systematic economic development opportunities (which, as will see, could also simultaneously include higher educational opportunities & jobs training for our youth, via using that (recently announced) $13.2 million in SSBCI funds.
I recall seeing an article (fall of 2011) that spoke of how Governor LePage had brought together State Agency Heads, along with outside Sr. Leadership entities to focus on ways to improve the business climate in Maine. Since then, I've seen some great ideas brought forth on how to not only improve the business climate in Maine; but also, assist with jobs creation. Additionally, I've been keeping up with the wide-range of transformations occurring around Maine's education system. MDOE Commissioner Steve Bowen, as been working tirelessly to accomplish and define policy pieces to support the Proficiency-based education model being promoted by MDOE beginning at the start of his tenure with MDOE. Upon reading the article entitled 'Governor's Commitment to Education Continues' posted on the Governor's web site; I now know that Governor LePage is also a supporter of the same synergistic paradigm. The Governor stated in this article, 'Our Youth reflect the future of our State; and, it's not enough to hope that our students do well. In an ever changing and increasingly competitive global economy, we must strive to improve opportunities for both students and teachers. We must take a hard look at our education system and be willing to ensure that there is on-going support and training for our educators and multiple pathways to success by way of choice for our student learners.' ... I couldn't agree more on this;* but, more importantly, Commissioner Bowen fully comprehends and supports the need for Educators to have access to professional development opportunities to refine their skills as they prepare all Learners to successfully compete in a global market via instilling in them essential critical thinking /problem solving application skills. Equally important to note is that our Educators play a major role in our local and global communities' success. Therefore, I believe it is imperitive that Educators be acknowledged as the integral partner/piece of the equation, so that they may then be allowed (over time) to negotiate their value to the big picture. This Instructional Learning concept is directly tied to jobs & jobs creation. Additionally, this collaborative culture investment will result in Educator commitment and competance, and ultimately produce a positive peer pressure culture. NOW TO ADD THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT FACTOR INTO THIS PARADIGM: established Economic Development Planners would then be able to entice/acquire business to locate/ relocate to Maine - where they would/could then be guaranteed a work force trained to their customized specifications. (Again, that $13.2 million in new lending to Maine Small Businesses to help create jobs could finance, in-part, this concept, et al.}
COMPLETE PLAN WAS FAX'D TODAY TO 287-1034.
Thank you for your consideration of this vision.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sheryl BandenSheryl Banden shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sheryl BandenSheryl Banden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not create in Maine a pool of Engineers to handle our Country's aging infrastructure? (We would first rebuld Maine's framework; then, be available for dispatch to other States; and, even other Countries to accomplish this work.) We can't rely on 'vacationland' alone as our brand. (No a consistent source of revenue.)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If High School Seniors (maybe also Juniors) had the chance to take a few background classes that local anchor businesses in Maine would like to see on a job application, this could be a win-win situation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base