Health and Human Services Cost Saving Ideas

Welcome to the “Cost Savings Ideas” website of Governor Paul LePage. Here, you are invited to share your ideas for promoting cost savings in the Department off Health and Human Services, Dirigo Health, Disability Rights Center, Foundation for Blood Research, Maine Children’s Trust, Inc. (Board), Maine Health Data Organization, Maine Hospice Council, Maine Veteran’s Home (Board of Trustees), and other related agencies.

You can review others’ ideas and see which are currently most popular. You may also comment on them as well as vote for your favorites.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum. For security reasons, please do not include any personal information. All submissions are to be civil and appropriate for a public forum; any submission containing profanity or personal attacks will not be posted. Thank you

Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of health and human services here.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Distribute food boxes with necessary staples only instead of handing out food stamps.

My family and I had to rely on assistance with food when we first moved back to Maine four yrs. ago. We were given so much in food stamps, far more than what we needed. We only used that as a stepping stone, however, I think far too many people rely on it. As a working Mainer, I can only afford to purchase no name brands, as I watch food stamp recipients in front of me in line buying the best of everything. Not fair. Sends a wrong message. I think that boxes filled with staple, like rice, peanut butter,…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • No work=no pay

1. Put all welfare recipients to work at schools, hospitals, nursing homes, day cares, soup kitchens. No free ride, they're getting paid, how about earning it?
        2. Drug testing for all recipients.
        3. Outlaw prehumous estate planning and asset transfers; it exists to get the free ride in many cases.
        4. Limit foods accessible to food stamp/EBT to healthy foods; align with WIC guidelines, not t-bones & doritos
        5. Eliminate unemployment hearing officers and hire former business managers that have a clue.
        6. Require minimum citizenship durations before eligibility for programs is allowed.
        7. Demand proof that attempts to garner…

31 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Dead beat parent no driver, fishing or hunting lic

Any dead beat parent who has a case closed because they have gained SSI or SSDI checks should loose all lic until they agree to make payments. Many of the SSI and SSDI folks work "under the table" and have more income and resourse than do those of us doing the right thing. Closing the cases of these individuals is just wrong and inviting further misuse of public funds. All closed cases should be handed over to investigators and investigators should go out and follow this too ill to work person for a week. Many are out there earning money.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • The EBT cards need to have a picture on them and a photo id is necessary

to complete the purchase. I believe if DHHS staff and others were to work in a local grocery store for a week they would be astounded at what they see. My job was threatened when I brought a fraud situation to my supervisors attention one night. I watched a man use his EBT to buy 5 one gallon Smiling Hill Farm milk containers, he dumped the milk outside, I saw it on the ground, he returned the empties for a total of $10 and then I saw him use the cash to purchase a 12 pk of Steel? beer. At…

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • I think families who have a history of any sort should be drug tested & cleared before recieving welfare checks

I think if we are taking care of the drug problem, then we would also be taking care of how many kids come into care. We need to stop making excuses for Meth babies born & stop giving away tax payers money to people who are using drugs. Welfare checks need to stop going to provide families with these drugs.

16 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Food stamp Fraud: DHHS has no system in place to stop food stamps from parents when there childern are taken away from them! DHHS depends on

Have a computer program that informs the other departments of this change. Now it would be automatic.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Nursing home physician waste

I thought I'd mention an area of waste I'm painfully aware of. Nursing homes. And it's not because the residents are getting too many pieces of bologna, or their beds are held too many days while they are in the hospital. There is a facility that has 62 residents. The doctor comes by once a week on Wednesdays. He gets there at 11am and is gone by 2pm. The nurses tell him how it is, and he agrees. I know of someone who waited 5 years for physical therapy that she never received. Yet the facility gets money for also…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Dead beat parents

Stop catering to the dead beat parents who maniplate the child enforsment system. Time lines and number of chances should be limited and upfront during reunification planning. Dragging there feet and waiting until the last minute should be to little to late. Not to wait until bonds are formed and families astablished in the foster home. It's another loss which is not best for the kids. And to have evidence the parent is still practicing poor judgement of charactor, which would endanger there children to the same lifestyle. Should be automatic termination. The cost is not the termination trials it's…

14 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • No bottle deposits on Food Stamps

Botlle deposits are not edible and sholud not be paid for by food stamps. If there is a sin tax, it should not be purchased with food stamps. Seems simple enough, food stamps use to be that way. If it's taxable, why should our tax money( via SNAP) be used to pay the sin tax, that money should be spent on healthy foods.
                      I have watched Snap participants by several cases of soda at a time. Then the bottles are returned for cash, to by ciggaretts and alcohol.
                      Many SNAP participants are also given a $10. stipen that I believe…

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Screen every person arrested and found guilty of theft for food stamps/mainecare/ssi. If the person has these things then the welfare should

People who have a lifestyle of theft often also have many of the welfare programs going. They should be screened at the jail and the state should stop the welfare and charge the person for fraud because they have had unreported incomes.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • EBT/Foodstamps

I believe that any returns made that were purchased with the EBT card should be 'refunded' back onto the EBT card, just as if you were using a credit card.

If you go into the Auburn Wal-Mart the day after the funds are posted to the EBT cards you can find carts full of returned groceries. Unfortunately individuals have figured out that if you return the value of the prior day's purchases you will receive cash. This defeats the intent of Foodstamps.

It is one thing to provide a helping hand, it is another when the assistance is converted into…

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Non-Citizens/Green Card Holders should not be allowed access to Government State Funding/Welfare/EBT

Non American Citizens or Green Card Holders should not be allowed access to TANF (WELFARE)/ Foodstamps, or any other state help. I am tired of seeing American citizens barely making it and suffering; while non citizens/green card holders are getting full rent paid, cars, and extra stuff. I find it insulting; and upsetting. As a single mother who is barely making; and not even making it, suffers while they live off our taxes. This is not a refugee this is a Country of Citizens.

28 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Revise MaineCare reimbursements

I work in a medical setting and cannot believe the number of MaineCare patients who have preventable diseases or conditions that could be remedied by less drugs, more exercise and better eating habits. The number of medications that many patients are on is astounding. And, of course, many MaineCare patients feel their opportunities to work and contribute are limited by their medical issues. Why doesn't the state give a monetary incentive to physicians/medical offices who actively encourage diet education/changes, exercise, etc.? Pay them at a higher reimbursement rate than the doctors who add another prescription to the list. Reimburse for…

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • It would cost less to have centrally located food and shelter facilities with needed supplies than to just give people cards

No name food and specifically "survival foods" and shelters for those who CHOOSE to not pull their weight. Not chips and soda much less lobster in some cases. Sorry for the ones with real needs and hope there would be more incentive for dead weght to be more useful.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • EBT/Foodstamps

Need to put an end to people who buy grocery carts full of smiling hill farm milk in glass bottles only to go home and dump out the milk to return the empties! Such a waste. Work for food. The state needs to provide jobs in return for services... ie, get foodstamps, work for the town sweeping, pumping gas etc

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Food Stamps and Mainecare

If a person receives food stamps and has Mainecare then the person buying food must eat healthy. If the person chooses to buy junk food, then they lose their Mainecare. Taxpayers should not allow persons to eat unhealthy and then pay for their poor health needs. Persons will be monitored by free services. All persons buying junk food loses their Mainecare and then the Mainecare services can be rolled onto a new family in need. I personally don't think they should buy junk food or be allowed to return any items to the store, but if they are going to…

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Welfare supplement instead of full welfare

Give welfare recipients who want to work (but don't bother looking for a job because they know they won't be able to make ends meet better than on welfare), a supplement to help them so that getting a job makes sense. There is a chasm that exists between the amount of money one earns and what living costs that makes it difficult to work and make ends meet. So, once a person is receiving money for housing, food, etc., why should they work? Wouldn't it make more sense to encourage those who want to work by offering them an amount…

14 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Make a rule that you have to had paid taxes in maine for a certain amount of time before being qualified to recieve benefits in maine.

People move to maine and instantly start using the resources collected by maine tax payers Is not fair. Because of the drain on the resources income levels have dropped an manydo not qualify for help. Reality is, those who have paid taxes their whole life in maine need help and it's not there. But If you come from anywhere else in the world and move to maine you would get benefits without paying a single dollar of tax to maine.

16 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • MaineCare Benefits should be scaled back!!

Kids on MaineCare should NOT be able to get orthodonist braces 100% free!! Seriously, most insurances do not cover them let alone pay 100%. I'm paying $6,000 for braces out of pocket with dental insurance...and in no way should I have to help pay for someone on MaineCare to get them so they can have straight teeth. I'm so sick of hearing of kids at the school that I teach at that are getting free braces because they have MaineCare! Urgh!!!!

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Health and Human Services Cost Saving Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base