Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of health and human services here.

EBT/Foodstamps

Need to put an end to people who buy grocery carts full of smiling hill farm milk in glass bottles only to go home and dump out the milk to return the empties! Such a waste. Work for food. The state needs to provide jobs in return for services... ie, get foodstamps, work for the town sweeping, pumping gas etc

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karen WinfreeKaren Winfree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

st brendt,
        Can your tenant answer a phone from his wheelchair? There is potential for people to volunteer/ work in many many ways. Yes there are many truly disabled people out there, who may not be able to handle a broom. There are many people who truly deserve all the benefits they receive.
        Often when someone has the opportunity to give back, or pay it forward, it makes their lives better, gives them a sense of purpose. Personally, I don't think bottle deposits should be paid by EBT period. I don't believe taxable food items should be purchased with food stamps period.

• MIchelle ThiboutotMIchelle Thiboutot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a case manger for an Adult shelter I see this daily. Buying Smiling Hill Farm Milk dumping it out and returning for the almost 2.00 deposit. As a social worker keeping milk in my house is tough and these people are dumping it out. Have reported to the DHHS fraud alert.

• st brendtst brendt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have NEVER seen ANYONE buy cartloads of milk, dump the milk out, and return the empties. There are people so sick that they CANNOT work for food. My tenant is one of them. He was in a wheelchair, has a VERIFIABLE back disease and injury, has recovered from one type of cancer, and was recently diagnosed with another type. What is HE supposed to do - crawl around with a broom in his mouth? Too many truly disabled people fall through the cracks when this type of check and balance system is implemented. He is NOW fighting to keep his health ins because of a "glitch in the system," Maine DHHS's OWN words. He worked HARD all his life until his injury, and paid taxes until then. As far as making an ABLE-BODIED person do sweeping, pump gas, etc., people already HAVE those jobs - so what, displace THEM? Working for food is what the slaves did. Slavery is against the law. Yes we DO have to stop the fraud, and the waste. This is NOT THE WAY. Blanket reforms do NOT work. IF YOU SUSPECT FRAUD, YOU NEED TO CONTACT DHHS. They actually have an online form for that. SMILING FARMS SEEMS ONLY TOO HAPPY TO TAKE THAT PERSON'S FS CARD. Maybe they should contact DHHS. Stop the fraud WITHOUT hurting people who are already hurting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base