No work=no pay
1. Put all welfare recipients to work at schools, hospitals, nursing homes, day cares, soup kitchens. No free ride, they're getting paid, how about earning it?
2. Drug testing for all recipients.
3. Outlaw prehumous estate planning and asset transfers; it exists to get the free ride in many cases.
4. Limit foods accessible to food stamp/EBT to healthy foods; align with WIC guidelines, not t-bones & doritos
5. Eliminate unemployment hearing officers and hire former business managers that have a clue.
6. Require minimum citizenship durations before eligibility for programs is allowed.
7. Demand proof that attempts to garner actual employment are occurring for all welfare & unemployment recipients: if you aren't working, your full-time job should be finding work.
8. Visit HEAP beneficiaries locations & determine if situation actually indicates help is needed rather than non-workers, unmarrieds living with significant other with means.
9. Maine veterans homes: make them function one year as regular facilities without endowment so they can realize how far out of touch they are budgetarily with their peers.
10. Have state workers in dysfunctional arenas to reapply for jobs & verify they have skills and training necessary to do them.
11. Eliminate government promotion from within policy that gets unqualified people into supervisory positions at a state level.
12. Take our non-workers to Mexico & swap them for folks that will actually work; they can come back in a year once they experience what life is like.
13. No one under 30 should be disabled.
14. Eliminate the "nut pension"; many are just nutty enough to qualify for benefits.
15. Demand proof of income at food pantries.
There are many ideas here, which makes it difficult to address. See below for responses to a few.
1. The ASPIRE program is to encourage more people to participate in work and work-related activities.
2. Maine will began drug testing of convicted felons within the next few months.
3. Under review
4. The federal government has not allowed Maine to ban junk food.
5. Unemployment is a different department.
6. Residential residency requirements are not allowed per Federal law.
7.The Legislature rejected the Governor’s proposal to require proof of applying for three jobs before receiving benefits.
8 & 9. These are under other departments.
Barbara Bragg commented
I agree with all but #13. Some people are disabled from birth due to medical conditions.