Justice and Protection Cost Saving Ideas

Welcome to the “Cost Savings Ideas” website of Governor Paul LePage. Here, you are invited to share your ideas for promoting cost savings in the Department of the Attorney General, Department of Corrections, Department of Defense, Veteran’s and Emergency Management, Department of Public Safety, Judicial Department, Maine Commission on Indigent Legal Services, Maine Fire Protection Services Commission, Maine Human Rights Commission, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, and other related agencies.

You can review others’ ideas and see which are currently most popular. You may also comment on them as well as vote for your favorites.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum. For security reasons, please do not include any personal information. All submissions are to be civil and appropriate for a public forum; any submission containing profanity or personal attacks will not be posted. Thank you

Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of justice and protection here.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Secure all tasers from all law enforcement officers so that citizens could be protected from assault and excessive f

Secure all tasers from all law enforcement officers so that unarmed citizens wouldn't get assaulted by those power hungry officers acting life storm troopers inflicting excessive force using them. This would save many $ on taser training, taser purchases, and provide a much needed sense of safety for us law abiding citizens.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • House detained juvenile offenders at Dorothea *** and ship the committed to South Portland.

By doing so, the Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston could be used only for 18-25 year old offenders. Trying to keep the juveniles and the adults seperate in this particular facility is next to impossible. The sight and sound barrier (that will never work) is just costing us taxpayers more and more. This is also the perfect answer to the "New Prison" that will cost upward of 100 million dollars. We have plenty of room in our prisons and jails and this would make even more room. We have a nice work release program that would take care…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Skill building for prisoners!

We do not do enough skill building with prisoners and they return to our communities with no job skills that enable them to obtain employment and provide for their families. Habitat for humanities, local communities and other forms of free community service will allow for skill building beyond building model boats! Education can be tied in with good time! Educate and train our prisoners to better enable to them to provide for themselves and their families as well as integrate back into our communites. The end result will be lower recidivism and hence lower prison costs.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

The DOC is working with the DOL to determine what job skills the labor market will need so that programming can be re-designed to fit available jobs.

• Notifying public about *** offenders.

In Bradford County in Florida, they post signs on the lawns of people who are a registered *** offender. This way the public is aware of who is living in their neighborhood. I feel that this would be a good idea for all of the offenders who have had convictions. This would probably require a law to be passed, but it would make everyone in the neighborhood feel safer, especially if they have children and can educate their children to stay away. And it would make it easier to keep track of them. I have a picture of this sign…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Protect our Forest Rangers

Equip our conservation law enforcement officers properly with bullet proof vests and firearms. Require all new hires to complete the basic law enforcement training program. Give them the tools, training and resources the need to do their jobs properly before one if them gets hurt. Lets do the right thing before someone has to tell their spouse that their husband or wife was killed because the state didn't give them the equipment they needed to save their own lives.

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Require law enforcement to carry non lethal rounds

Every government agent that carries a firearm could be required to carry one clip of non lethal rubber bullets; so they have the option of incapacitating any threat they may find themselves up against. If they carry there weapon around pre-chambered they should have that round be a non lethal round; so they can use it in a hurry and have the time to decide the best course of action.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • e need to think about the Death penalty in This State due to more and more Murders are happening.

I read the paper and always someone is getting killed for drugs or money to buy drugs, We need to get the Death Penalty involved to maybe wakeup people on any idea on killing someone elses child or parent.

14 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Enact a public domestic violence offender registry

Dear Gov. LePage,
                  I greatly commend you on your stance on domestic violence in this state. It is a pernicious evil that needs to be rooted out with the offenders being properly punished so that they can not go on to murder their victim. I propose that there be a registry enacted throughout the state (and online) that lists any and all persons convicted of domestic violence with the term of registration being similar to that of the *** offender registry. I think this would serve to provide the public with information pertaining to dangerous predators and possibly help to…

12 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 17 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • 23 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Creating a safer environment for College students and its faculties by allowing Conceal Carry on campus.

the Virginia Tech massacre of April 16, 2007, in which a gunman brutally murdered 32 students and faculty members and injured 17 more before killing himself while no one was capable of stopping him, not even campus police.

Thousands of responsible gun owners in Maine register every year for concealed carry permits. All of which are rigorously screened. Criminals could care less about laws that they so break, and the lifes they harm and will carry reguardless if its a gun free zone.

Time and time again gun free zones have showed increase of violent crimes from murder to ****,…

36 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Eliminate fines

I believe that fines for traffic violations, petty crimes and unpaid fines lead to disdain and contempt towards the government. I believe that a much better system would be to make those people do community service, that way projects could be accomplished that would normally not be done. Things that could be considered for community service would be landscaping of towns, parks and countrysides, cleaning up rubbish from wherever, and painting things. Other things could of course be thought of and added and maybe have a website similar to this one where people could post things that they would like…

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Make law enforcement carry tranquilizers as well as guns

The way I see it, many situations that would result in an officer using deadly force on a suspect could be avoided if law enforcement was required to carry tranquilizers guns as well as normal guns. Like if they're confronted with a dangerous person they could knock them out with a few darts and hopefully they wouldn't overdose, then assess the situation from there, and the previously violent person would most likely be in a better disposition once they wake up from their nap.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • License suspension notification

There is a big problem facing many in our state. Operating after suspension is a serious charge with serious penalties. Why is it the BMV can simply mail out a notification, and you are considered notified? What happens in those instances where someone isn't notified? They get convicted. With all the things that have to be sent certified mail, how is it something that can possibly make you a felon is not required? I cant get away with telling bill collectors my check is in the mail. Why can the state?

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Reduce health care costs by eliminating chemtrails

Those in power please stand up for your citizens and refuse to allow continued spraying of chemicals and deadly metals on our beautiful state. Governor Lepage keeps complaining about the poor people who need Maine care services, so stop allowing our state to be deliberately poisoned, our sun blocked out, and our trees and wildlife murdered. Lots of people who receive health care assistance are prescribed anti depressants and anxiety medications which are extremely expensive. These costs could be lessened if people were not being numbed out by the poisons being sprayed from above!

16 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Don't see your idea?

Justice and Protection Cost Saving Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base