Natural Resources Protection and Development Cost Saving Ideas

Welcome to the “Cost Savings Ideas” website of Governor Paul LePage. Here, you are invited to share your ideas for promoting cost savings in the Atlantic Salmon Commission, Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, Baxter State Park Authority, Department of Agriculture, Department of Conservation, Department of Environmental Protection, Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, Department of Marine Resources, and other related agencies.

You can review others’ ideas and see which are currently most popular. You may also comment on them as well as vote for your favorites.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum. For security reasons, please do not include any personal information. All submissions are to be civil and appropriate for a public forum; any submission containing profanity or personal attacks will not be posted. Thank you

Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of natural resources protection and develpoment here.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Stop DEP Use of Public Grant Funds to Maintain Private Gravel Roads

The Maine Erosion Control Law (EC Law) requires private road owners to prevent soil (a pollutant) from washing into public waters. Maine Public Purpose Doctrine only allows use of public funds on private roads if there is direct benefit to the public. Yet, the DEP annually applies hundreds of thousands of federal grant dollars and state staff time to fund private landowner maintenance on private (mostly gravel) roads, in the form of federal nonpoint source grants issued under the Clean Water Act. Grant recipients are not required to demonstrate that funds will be used for direct public benefit...i.e., to control…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Post signs at state beaches: State Beach - No Littering and Have a drawing of a set of eyes on the sign.

To help people visiting day or night remove the waste they brought with them.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • 1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • No coyote hunting or no deer hunting- pick one.

If you ask many hunters how they justify killing coyotes they'll tell you the deer are being killed off by them but if you ask them why they kill deer they'll tell you that there are too many deer. Pick one or the other and stick with that story until the conditions actually change. If you think there are too many deer stop shooting coyotes since they eat the deer. If there aren't enough deer don't shoot the deer because there aren't enough. Either hunting deer OR hunting coyotes should be permitted.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Hunting Seasons

Coyotes - no closed season allow night hunting by permit accept during big game seasons.
            Hunting on Sundays should be allowed.
            You must purchase deer tag prior to hunting for them.
            Expand dates for regular Archery, it currently coincised with migratory bird seasons.
            Reduce gun season too 1 or 2 weeks, this will eventually increase the deer population.
            Merge all hunter Safety courses together. You don't need 3(gun, bow, and crossbow) to teach the same lessons.
            Thank you for your time.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • moratorium on passadumkeag mt wind farm

This is too valuable to consider placing wind turbines onTop of mountain. It is in site of a conservation easement,many beautiful lakes and rivers where recreation.and tourism is at a premium. Not to mention the town of Burlington already has in its sight the wind farm of Ro llins Mountain. I am concerned with forest fires and the destruction of a beautiful mountain whose slopes you can see for miles. I do not understand why construction activity is taking place when as permit.has not.been issued also

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Moratorium on Wind Farms.

Many Wind Farms, like Passadumkeag Wind, are being proposed over or adjacent to significant public and conserved lands. The land within the 8 mile project area has one of the State's largest Conservation easements. DEP has not required the applicant to submit a Visual Impact Assessment to evaluate the impact on the Nicatous/West Lake conservation areas. DEP has further stated (in its Draft Decision dated 7/5/2012) that they will not consider the affects to West Lake specifically, as it is not listed as a "scenic resource". We must reevaluate the law to require further setbacks from such areas. LURC has…

25 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Don't hire select few to hunt coyotes have program that would have hunters control it anyone that kills ten coyotes gets a Doe premit NO MON

Don't pay a select few to hunt Coyotes have a program that would have hunters help control the population anyone that kills ten coyotes gets a Doe prmit NO MONEY and another sport for the real hunters

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • DONT GROW THE DEER HERD SO THAT WILDLIFE MURDERERS CAN KILL THEM. THE FIGURES THAT HUNTERS PROVIDE ARE TERRIBLY OVERINFLATED.

WILDLIFE WATCHERS AND PEACEFUL FOLK THAT TRAVEL OUTSPEND WILDIFE MURDERING HUNTERS 20 TO 1 SO THAT YOU ARE CONSIGNING AN AREA TO DEPRESSION WHEN YOU TRY TO ENTICE WILDLIFE MURDERING HUNTERS TO VISIT. LOOK AT THE BONA FIDE STATISTICS WITH THE US GOVT, WHO CAN VERIFY THIS INFORMATION.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Fill all forest ranger positions in the Maine Forest Service.

As the recent weather has shown, we need these emergency service positions filled. I read in the Press Herald that they have 5 or 6 vacancies. Correct me if I am wrong, but these are fire and law enforcement positions. Why were these left vacant for so long??? Not too smart! Their website shows that they also enforce all of the forestry laws, including theft, littering and other landowner protection regulations. I also feel that the Governor would want these jobs filled. Their quick response can save the forest and homes, thus saving money. Also, they protect unsuspecting landowners from…

20 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Don't see your idea?

Natural Resources Protection and Development Cost Saving Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base