Please share your government cost saving ideas in the area of transportation safety and development here.

Car Inspections

Push car inspections out from once a year to once every two years. Lets be realistic about it, there are many people out there that are "NOT" mechanically inclined and they are taken advantage of by dishonest business'/mechanics and paying for unnecessary repairs. I have witnessed this first hand with co-workers and friends that have payed exuberant amounts of money for repairs that are not needed. Money that could be spent elsewhere to boost the Maine economy. I know of other states that do this and it seems to make good sense to me. We could also do this with car registration. With the economy the way it is, the frequency in which people have to shell out significant amounts of their money to keep their vehicles on the road only hurts the Maine economy.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see the benefit of vehicle inspections. It is not cost effective. Does it really stop unsafe vehicles? Just because the vehicle passed last month maybe it wont two months from now. What about unsafe vehicles from other states driving on Maine roads, what or who stops those vehicles?

• MR. CMR. C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that the police needs to have safty inspections ( Road Blocks again ) I seen cars with 2011 stickers and no stickers. I seen loud cars go by the police and they are talking on their cellphone not paying any attention and letting drivers go by. I feel that if the town or city wants state money they need to do better on keeping drivers safe and people walking safe as these cars that belong in the junk yard drives on Maine Roads.

• TeriTeri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally disagree with this! Even with once a year inspections there are countless of unsafe vehicles out there. I've seen cab corners basically gone, rocker panels completely rusted through, yet they have an inspection sticker good for another year! HOW??? I had to get rid of my last car cause it wouldn't pass inspection due to the rocker panels and it wasn't worth the money to repair it. Mine were gone from the underneath of the vehicle. I've seen others on the roads that just looking at them you could see their rocker panels were shot and they're still driving around. Cracked windshields...busted so bad I don't know how they could see to drive. What are the cops looking at when these vehicles go by them?

No, if anything yearly inspections need to continue, but ALL garages and shops need to be on the same page as to 'what will pass' and not give favors to anyone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base