Other Cost Saving Ideas

Welcome to the “Cost Savings Ideas” website of Governor Paul LePage. Here, you are invited to share your ideas for promoting cost savings that do not fit into one of the of the more specific forums.

You can review others’ ideas and see which are currently most popular. You may also comment on them as well as vote for your favorites.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum. For security reasons, please do not include any personal information. All submissions are to be civil and appropriate for a public forum; any submission containing profanity or personal attacks will not be posted. Thank you

Please share all other government cost saving ideas here.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Marijuana useage

Where does Paul Lepage stand on the legalization of marijuana. For adults over 21 . make it legal for some stores to sell it. The amount of money from taxing it would be unbelievable.. Just look at Colorado. They made it legal for recreational use and they brought in nearly $2 million in revenue. Pluse crime rates declined.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • EBT and MaineCare

Dear Mr. Lepage,
      I am a hard working tax paying citizen.
      I also believe that the state should provide assistance for the elderly and disabled.
      Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death and illness in the United States.
      Today I witness a women using her EBT card to buy 4 coconut waters at $1.59 per 8 ounces. She then uses cash to buy cigarettes at $6.80. I got to thinking, she has money for cigarettes and her EBT was now buying coconut water which has no nutritional value.
      I feel that we should randomly get ***** samples to check…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Privatize Central Fleet Management

Central Fleet Management rents vehicles to State Government Employees. The garage & attaching building as well as the parking lots should be sold to a car rental business.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Withold revenue sharing funds from towns who pass ordinances stricter than state standards

When individual towns pass ordinances which prohibit use of their roads (not related to spring thaw) by legally registered vehicles in the State of Maine, they should not be entitled to state funds to build/maintain those roads. This would save money by not having to disburse revenue sharing funds to towns/cities which use this practice of punishing commercial vehicles in neighboring towns. Although local budgets do not rely exclusively on state funds for maintenance/construction of local roads, why should they be able to put any state dollars into roads which cannot be used by all the people of Maine. Several…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Drug trafficers from out of state should have harsher sentances

If coming to Maine to trade or transport drugs then once caught the individual should face a severe sentance. Min 10 years no good time. Also those who are teens and arriving to sell drugs should face the youth center until age 18 then be transfered to prison for the remainder of a 10 year sentance..

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • stop methadone treatment for abusers

some people have been at methdone clinics 10 years. why is maine care or private payees still going after 3 years. if methadone is helping them to stop using why are they still failing ***** test . i feel those clinics are doping them more than helping them get free of drugs.i think 3 drug test fails than wing them off and send them packing. those are people that dont want to be drug free.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • eliminate confidential manager/section supervisors of the stae of maine

Eliminate Confidentail position of the state of Maine held by managers and section supervisors that are costing the TAX Payers of state of maine $400,000.00 a year to employ these classifications/positions which are being abused by state managers.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • illegalize bringing in Boa Constrictors and other hazardous animals that belong in wild.

8/13/13 two children were murdered buy a Rock Python which is a constrictor. I can't remember what state but there are two Boa's on the loose now. I think there should be a law that if you own one of these hazardous pets and if your pet kills or hurts someone then you should be liable, I think it should be illegal to bring any wild animal into Maine. I think if one of these Boa Constrictors kill somebody the owner should be held on Homicide charges because they know they have a killer in their possession.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Place a deposit on cigarette butts similar to beverage containers

They could be returned for cash instead of being thrown out windows, awaiting mother nature to dispose of. They would be cashed out by weight instead of being counted. And then recycled for some other purpose. May also reduce the amount of bark mulch fires along side of the roadways that firefighters respond to frequently.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Stop tax refunds for welfare recipiants

Why should welfare recipiants receive a "bonus" each tax year in the form of a tax refund check? We work, and pay taxes, and see our tax money handed out to people who didn't work a day over the table.

13 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Tax on Kayaks

I believe it is now time to charge a $5 registration fee for non powerized boats, like kayaks, canoes, paddle boats and dingys. This tax would help track lost items floating out into a lake or ocean. The coast guard already wants the kayaks labeled because they find many floating around every year. Get them registered and they will quickly find the owner, find out if the item was lost, or if a person is missing, and cut down on the manhunt hours. Just because they are not powerized does not mean they should be exempt from registration/tax. The funds…

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • MaineCare Cuts and Debt

Maine hospitals are struggling on many fronts. We are seeing a decrease in demand for hospital services while at the same time experiencing an increase in bad debts. Hospitals received some federal cuts related to the year end “fiscal cliff” crisis. The new Medicare sequester alone is costing mid-sized hospital systems (250 beds) about $500,000 a month in decreased payments. While hospitals continue to make progress in reducing their operating costs, these revenue reductions are very difficult to manage and the hopsitals are expecting to end the year in the red.

Projected losses will total some $8 million in MaineCare…

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • elected officials should get paid the same amount of money as the average person in their state no more than $10-$15000 more

All the money we’ll save can go towards paying off our national debt.
                            Some elected officials in congress and the senate get paid over $175,000 and most of them over $100,000 and that doesnt seem right.Its like the owner of a company paying his employees double what he makes! elected officials should get paid the same amount of money as the average person in their state. All of the raises they voted to give themselves automatically will be allowed to continue but it will be caped at no more than $10-$15000 more than their states average. the government is supposed…

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Watching Channel 6 News on the Union debate All Lies! The union states that workers are not paying nothing for the union dues.

this new converence on channel 6 news on 4/2/13 is completely lies. worker do not get any assistance from the union in any way possible. they said we get raised for the union to work and fight for the workers is false. not true lies. union does not work for the workers at all!. they do not help get us raised nor go into arbritration. the union is only out for themselves. the accusation on the news is completely Lies!...we pay for dues for completely nothing we do not get a fair raise and employment in the state government...

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Being paid to care for your own family member

Why is the State of Maine paying family members to care for their own family members who have disabilities? I was speaking with a lady who was being to care for her own child because he is disabled and under the age of 18. Why? Isn't that child the responsibility of the family member and not the State?

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Life time max on State Assistance

I was really bothered to read the articile that so many people from Maine are receiving methadone treatments paid for by the state. That said I'm glad there will be a 2 year life time max for being able to receive this treatment. I think a similar life time max should be set into place for unemployment and other various state benefits. Unemployment was meant for the person who lost their job, not seasonal workers looking for vacation pay. I know plenty of hard working people who can't afford a vacation yet I know many families collecting unemployment taking multiple…

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Get Rid of the State Tax for workers and make the Sales Tax higher for the non workers to pay in.

I feel it is time the people that feel that welfare is a paycheck. I feel it would be better off for Maine to get rid of the State Tax and Corprate Tax and Tax all that live in Maine by Rasing the Sales Tax. This would bring more jobs to Maine and make the Welfare people want to go out and get a job.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Raise State Inspection Sticer to $25.00. Raise sales tax a percent or half-percent.

$12.50 to the General Fund and $12.50 to the State Police. $25.00 is not a lot of $ and this could bring in 10million or so.
                                      The sales tax in other States is higher. I know this may deter business a little, but we need to get our finances in order before we can think about promoting new business or big business to Maine anyhow.

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • There should be an re-evaluation of all disable adults under 65 years old.

There are many 'able' adults who got disability years ago but whose ailment has been cured, improved or minimized however, no one has ever gone back to re-evaluate them so they continue to collect disability. There needs to be a healthcare team from the govenment, with specific standards, who evaluates people based on what they CAN do. They need to work with an employment agency and find jobs that these people can do. Perhaps a desk job, or work 2-3 days a week. In reality, some of these people already have 'under the table jobs'. The majority of disable adults…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • 4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Other Cost Saving Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base