Please share all other government cost saving ideas here.

Being paid to care for your own family member

Why is the State of Maine paying family members to care for their own family members who have disabilities? I was speaking with a lady who was being to care for her own child because he is disabled and under the age of 18. Why? Isn't that child the responsibility of the family member and not the State?

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anne Anne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karen WinfreeKaren Winfree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anonymous,
        I take care of my elderly parents, and do not receive a dime from anyone. I work a part time job, because that is all I have time for. I do not believe in getting paid by the state, but I wish there was some type of tax credit for the unpaid work time that I put into taking care of my aging family.
        I save the government thousands of dollars annually by keeping them in their home. It is my own retirement that I worry about. The income I am not able to make and save for my own retiement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would you feel if your elderly mother needed assistance, and wanted thier child to help them. You know that taking care of a mentally ill person whether it be elderly or young takes time out of your life that does not pay bills? Those people require a LOT of one on one care, and those people taking care of them don't literally have the time to work full time jobs, let alone part time jobs. Wow. Just wow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base