Cost Saving Ideas for Government

This forum has been closed.

You may no longer submit new ideas or vote on ideas which have already been submitted through this forum.

Please visit one of our open forums to share your new cost saving ideas.

How can Maine state government operate more efficiently?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Home elder care

Wouldn't it be better to structure a plan for in home care by family and pay family for their loved ones being home instead of in a nursing facility. If we pay like Maine care in nursing homes the cost must be very high. Why not let the elderly spend time at home for those who wish to take care of their family member. Some work and cannot do t his but if they were paid it would help the government funding and the families.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Increase cost of Alcohol!

I have an idea that would help close the gap in our States account.
      I read in the Bangor Daily this morning that 1 in 10 people (132,836) in Maine are binge drinkers. I propose a $5 fee for every 6 pack and every bottle of alcohol sold.
      If 1 in 10 binge on Friday and Saturdays, that would be $664,180 a year, and this number doesn't count the alcoholics, for just 1 6-pack or 1 bottle for each person.
      Social drinkers won't mind, if they only have an occassional drink. I alos think that bars in Maine should charge…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Stop paying for benefits for anyone that breaks the laws of society.Stop meth clinics,stop cable tv,movies,gym equipment in prisons.

If someone breaks the rules of society they give up their rights.Don't let someone break the rules of any assistence program and be eligable for another.Don't give SSI to drug and alcohol abusers just because they can't get a job.Take the benefits from the lazy,the abusers,and the law breakers before you start taking from the elderly and the working class that may need temporary assistence.

70 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Methadone Clinics

The state should take a long hard look at how the methadone clinics around the state are run. Those who know and deal with clients at these clinics commonly hear about how the people who run the programs do not work towards getting the clients off the methadone. In fact, clients have to insist that they want to get clean to get their doses cut down. There are clients who have been getting their fixes daily for years and the state is paying for it. That is the same thing as paying for an alcoholic to get his daily drink.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • COMBINE THE LEGISLATURE INTO A SINGLE HOUSE THAT MEETS EVERY TWO YEARS. STOP IMMEDIATELY, THE ILLOGICAL BILLS LEGISLATORS INTRODUCE TO GET T

Combine the legislature into a single house that meets every two years. Stop illogical bills presented to the legislature just to have their names attached to any bill. Stop the medical coverage and retirement for legislators who should have retired from other jobs. Seasonal workers should not earn fulltime benefits. Reduce the overall numbers of legislators once they are combined. With a population of only 1.2 million, Maine does not require the same numbers in the legislature that much larger state have. Large numbers waste money in pay, benefits, printing,distribution and meeting hours. Lets STOP THE WASTE NOW.

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Option for those concerned about Maine Care

Dear Gov. LePage,

It seems some people may be legitimatly concerned about the number of people that may be removed from Maine Care. If this is true than perhaps the State of Maine could develope a system or escrow account where these people could donate money to pay for the uninsured. I am with you in that this should not be a burdon of every tax payer. I personally work 4 to 5 dozon hours per week to provide for my own family. I simply don't have it in me to provide for the whole State. The bottom line comes…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Charge fees for child support

It is my understanding that other states charge NCP's ( non custodial parents) the fees associated with the maintaince of their cases. This is especially effective where the NCP does not want to be found, and the State must use extrodinary efforts to locate and serve documents that are relevent to the management of the case. In instances where a driver's license is revoked for non-payment and the NCP is subsequently stopped by law enforcement, the practice of ARREST not summons should be the norm and bail from the county jail should be equal to the outstanding support

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Changing the way WELFARE recipients spend their monthly funds will reduce fraud!!!!

We are all upset about the amount of our tax dollars that go to welfare, but worse is how recipients are spending it. We have all seen it, you get to the cash registers and there are cigarettes, steaks, lobsters, soda by the gallons, alcohol, premade cookies and cupcakes, candy bars, junk cereal..etc...we all also know there is a big problem with this money being spent on drugs and traded for cash.
                    THE SOLUTION?????
                    NO CASH...Cards only...with a restriction on them of what can be purchased. NO cigarettes...NO soda..NO alcohol..Etc Light bills, rent and cable can all be paid with…

183 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Instead of cutting MaineCare to people that need it, allow patient input to manage excess costs to the state.

Instead of cutting MaineCare to people that need it, people on MaineCare should be able to check and dispute charges for wrong diagnoses, bad care, excess testing, etc. This would reduce costs to the state and eliminate fraudulent and excessive charges.. All doctors should be required to accept MaineCare and not allowed the option to deny care just because of the patient's insurance carrier, this is discriminatory.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Instead of overhauling benefits, rummage through the top heavy management in the DHHS system

There are many senior citizens and disabled people in Maine who cannot afford having their Medicare or Mainecare cut. Lets try overhauling the organization as a whole first, not just fiscally. Lets try looking at how much money is wasted in courtrooms over an archaic system, like support enforcement. Lets try not just drug testing applicants, lets put them in work programs to earn the privalege of using my Tax Payer dollars. Lets cut Maine Prisoners from our Health Insurance programs and put them to work in our forests, public buildings cleaning,etc.. There are many instances I can come up…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Standardize the State's Employer Share of Teachers' Retirement

Maine State Retirement benefits are based on salary. Since the State pays the employer share of Maine State Retirement for teachers and administrators, but the local school boards set the salaries based on local conditions, why not legislate a base State employer share, so local districts will be responsible to fund the balance. This will place the liability where it belongs, at the source of decision. The richer communities are driving up the future pension costs, and teachers in poor rural communities, and the rest of us are helping to pay for it with our taxes.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Electronic Documentation-specialty software

As the State of Maine continues to fine tune MaineCare to make it more cost effective and still maintain a high level of Health and Safety for the most vulnerable people of Maine. My recommendation is specific to State requirement to focus documentation on outcomes of money spent for services provided. As audit tightens their reviews and documentation increases and revenue to agencies decrease it is time for agencies to come together and develop processes that are cost effective without degrading the required level of services. We need to address needs not always with the ability to address wants. All…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Stop spending so much on register, restricted mail for finger print cards for DHHS foster homes. Use regular mail or give them out with the

Stop spending $10.00 a pop to send restricted, registered mail finger print cards. Standardize the procedure. Give out the card with the info packets or during the pre-licensing trainings for foster parents.

0 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • How about having prisoners cut up the fallen trees in the woods for those in need of heating assistance.

I know that there are many people that need heating assistance. I also know that there are many dead trees along side the road that could be harvested and given to those in need. How about having prisoners cut these trees and give them to those needing assistance! It would help both those needing assistance and the prisoners that really need to do some work.

37 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This would require crew bosses and transport vehicles. DOC would be willing to consider a partnership with a non-profit for this type of venture as a community restitution project.

• highway funding for road repairs

If the governor raised the gas tax by 2 cents a gallon, everyone who uses our highways will pay their fair share of road repairs. 2 cents a gallon will not amount to much more expenses for anyone who uses gas. It may cost 10 to 15 cents per week for people who use our roads. But the extra money produced would go only for road repair. I am sure everyone would be willing to help this cause to fix our roads.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Postpone fleet purchase for one additonal year.

All gov't agencies postpone purchasing new autos/trucks or fleet cars for one additional year. The employed mechanics by each agency can keep them running for another year, which in turn pays three ways, Defers capital expenses, longer equipment life and mechanic employment saves jobs and contibutes to state taxes.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Eliminate Tax exempt status for all non profit oranizations and groups. Too hard to track with many loopholes. Maine is losing Thousands of

Eliminate Tax Exempt status from non paying tax groups and organiztions. Too much personal consumption is abused with this outdated privilege.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Please, bath salt is a poison not a drug. Change the methodology and protect more children. Implore media to present the product as a p

Please present bath salt as a poison rather than a drug. Implore the media to do the same. Recent televised issues including a central Maine hospital destroyed to the extent of $30/k demands it.

Thank you Governor Lepage.

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • If the governor wants to reduce the cost of administering MaineCare, work to increase MaineCare co-pays!

MaineCare co-pays, when compared to those with private insurance, are an absolute joke. Many of the people receiving MaineCare who utilize the emergency care system are not going to stop using those services. Instead of removing them from MaineCare entirely, increase the amount they are required to pay out of pocket for services rendered. If the ER co-pay for a person with good private insurance is $50, why shouldn't the MaineCare co-pay be comparably close?

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Cost Saving Ideas for Government

Feedback and Knowledge Base